Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life Comes at You Fast...

...sometimes it's best to duck.

I've ducked and dodged several things in the last couple of days. Yesterday a ducked several high velocity tennis balls during drills. I was only hit once which is about normal. I always say that it hasn't been a good day at doubles unless you get hit by the ball. The very nature of doubles requires you to aim for the net person. Getting hit is inevitable. It's part of the challenge and part of the fun.

I made another good dodge yesterday. While trying a new apple pie recipe my dear daughter threw up while helping to make it. Nothing kills your appetite faster than having your child throw up. She missed the pie but got the stove and floor. Thankfully I jumped back in time to save myself another shower. I almost scrapped the whole pie but continued making it after cleaning up and bathing her. It's not a recipe I think I'll keep. I think my opinion has been tainted and it's probably not fair to the recipe but I still can't keep the recipe or the pie. Yuck!

For those that aren't aware, the U.S. Open tournament is underway. My favorite player, Roger Federer, dodged a tough opponent yesterday to remain in the tournament. Go, Roger! I'm afraid my tennis preferences are transferring to Miss G. She watched some of his match yesterday and decided to draw a picture of him.





The lines above his eyes are his sweat band.



And this is how she feels when he wins!! Go, Roger!

The things I'm not dodging right now but trying to face head-on and head-strong are homeschooling and a Fall Festival I'm organizing for our church. Both are proving to be fun and fulfilling. Miss G is enjoying "doing school" even though she grumbles sometimes. The light in her eyes and joy in her smile when she "gets" whatever we're doing encourages me like nothing else could. What a blessing to be home with her.

What are you ducking and dodging lately? Sometimes you need to duck and sometimes you need to face things head-on. Sometimes it's hard to decided which to do.

There will be times when you take a hit and it may leave a mark. Sometimes you can miss the full blow but still be negatively affected. Sometimes you just need to be brave and take that leap of faith into the unknown. That leap of faith is a whole lot easier if you'll rely on God. Don't know what to do...pray. God can resolve situations in ways you can't even imagine.

What's the moral of this story? Be aware and duck incoming shots. Be wary and dodge negative influences. Be brave, rely on God and pray...a lot. Life is so good when we walk in step with Him.

No comments: