Monday, November 24, 2008

A Thankful Group



Have you ever had a gathering at your home? Have you ever had a crisis or two 20 minutes before they arrive? Ahhh, welcome to my world.

Some of the children from church came over Saturday to play some backyard games and to learn about being thankful. About 20 minutes before they arrived, I was warming 1/2 a gallon of hot chocolate on the stove. I was warming it in my favorite glass carafe. The carafe that I use day and night. The carafe that I hadn't noticed was worn out. While scurrying about the kitchen trying to wrap everything up before the guests arrive I hear a sizzle. I think to myself, "Why is that sizzling? I'm pretty sure it's not overflowing." I ignore it continuing to tidy up. A couple more sizzles later I decide I'd better go see what's up on the stove. I grasp the handle to check underneath and all that comes with the handle is the top part of the carafe. One half gallon of hot chocolate pours out everywhere. The carafe has broken clean in two. Hot chocolate covers the stove. It covers the counters on both sides of the stove and it covers the floor. I stand still for about 5 seconds and then yell for help.

My good and kind husband helps me clean up the mess and in less than 10 minutes we have cleaned all the visible surfaces. I grab a metal pan and fill it with 1/2 gallon of milk and turn on the burner. From the pantry I retrieve the Nesquik and start walking to the stove. My momma always told me never to carry things by their lids. She was right. Almost to the stove the bottom part of the Nesquik container drops from its' lid and chocolate powder flies everywhere. My good and kind husband who has psychically lingered near me starts to laugh. Right after I throw the yellow Nesquik lid at him we frantically clean up the powder which has stuck to the freshly mopped floor. Miraculously, we manage to clean everything up before our first guest arrives.

Everyone really had a good time. The kids played. The adults visited and everyone roasted miniature marshmallows on pretzel sticks. (note to self: buy large marshmallows) We learned about being thankful and everyone loved the hot chocolate. It was truly a great day.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. Psalm 136:1

No comments: