Thursday, August 7, 2008

Lapbooks



I have been without Miss G this week...(sniff, sniff)... so I have been working on her curriculum for this fall. Since she is only four years old, we are going to dive into all things that interest her. Right now that includes drawing, coloring, cutting and anything that has to do with glue. Can a person have too much glue? Not according to Miss G. Oh how she loves the stuff. She "accidentally" gets it on her fingers and then she pulls them stickily apart. It's great fun. I vaguely remember a time when yours truly was just as enamoured with the sticky white stuff. And don't get me started on paste! Do they still make that stuff? I'm going to have to look for it. Oh what fun we...I mean she could have with that.

But I digress...one of the tools we are going to use this fall is a lapbook. It's a book that you create about any subject you're studying. This website explains the concept much better than I could. I know that Miss G will thoroughly enjoy making her own book about subjects that interest her. We have already made a trial, "pretend" book and she loved it. We put the book together and she put stickers all over it. She carries it around with her stopping to read it from time to time. One of the benefits about creating these little books is that your student can re-read their books to reinforce the material they have learned.

You can also create little games with these books. While Miss G has been away, I created a matching number game for her. She can already count and recognize numbers and now it's time to recognize the number words. In the picture above, she'll take the numerals out of the envelope and put them by the correct number word. We're still working on our phonetics too so this will be a good way to reinforce phonetic reading of our number words.

The possibilities are endless for lapbooks. They're like little scrapbooks for your mind. Try a few in your life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love what you wrote, "They're like little scrapbooks for your mind."

Yeah! That's brilliant! :-)