Thursday, October 2, 2008

Faith vs. Belief



be·lieve - [bi-leev]
–verb (used without object)
1. to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

–verb (used with object)
2. to have confidence or faith in the truth of (a positive assertion, story, etc.); give credence to.
3. to have confidence in the assertions of (a person).
4. to have a conviction that (a person or thing) is, has been, or will be engaged in a given action or involved in a given situation: The fugitive is believed to be headed for the Mexican border.
5. to suppose or assume; understand (usually fol. by a noun clause):


faith –noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.
8. Christian Theology. the trust in God and in His promises as made through Christ and the Scriptures by which humans are justified or saved.


We have been studying/debating faith vs. belief in our adult Bible classes. Some believe that they are the same thing. Our minister believes they are the same especially as used in the old testament. In Greek, both believe and faith can be translated as:

Pisteuo- (pist-yoo'-o) - Verb

1. to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in
- of the thing believed
- to credit, have confidence
- in a moral or religious reference
- used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul
- to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in
doing something: saving faith - mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith
2. to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity
- to be entrusted with a thing

Many in our class disagree and believe that faith and belief as used in modern-day language are different. They extend faith's definition to beyond its' classification as a noun and moved it into verb status. They believe that faith implies a relationship with God which requires action on our part. Many people believe in God but still do not have a relationship with Him.

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'


It's the "I never knew you" part that is troubling to me. Sometimes I catch myself going through the Christian motions. I go to church. I go to church events. I participate in communion but am I really 'knowing' God? Am I spending time in His word? Am I spending time with Him in prayer? Am I listening for Him? Am I obeying Him? Sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes no.

I think we all have spiritual peaks and valleys. Our spirituality is in a constant state of flux. I think we are either moving toward God or away from Him. Hopefully, we are moving closer to Him the majority of the time. It's part of our walk to struggle and have hardship. It makes us rely on Him. Whether we think that faith and belief are the same thing or not, it pretty much boils down to this...

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6


No comments: