Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Gifts of Goodness




There's something undeniably good about shelling black-eyed peas. You tear off one end of the pod pulling part of the spine with it. Then the pod opens easily to reveal those little, perfect, black-eyed globes of edible goodness. The repetitive, monotonous nature of shelling peas frees your mind and calms your soul. It takes me back to my Grandmother and Grandad's farm and the summers I spent there learning about gardening and goodness.

I learned about gardening from my Grandmother. To a kid, her garden seemed enormous. I'm really not sure how big it was but I know that I shelled two brown grocery bags of peas every evening along with snapping two more of green beans. I didn't really like picking the peas or beans but I loved to shell and snap them. I think I liked opening them. It was as if I was waiting for a surprise. You cracked open that faded and worn exterior and inside were these bright, shiny gems. My brothers and Grandmother were surprised by my tenacity as I always finished my bags. I wanted to see what was inside.

I learned about goodness from my Grandfather. My, he loved the Lord. He also loved to sing. His voice was deep and clear and he always had a hymn on his lips. I would beg to stay near him as he went about the farm just so I could hear him sing. I think that is why I'm always singing around our house and why Miss G can be heard belting out "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof while she plays with her baby dolls.

Grandad constantly talked to me about the ways of the farm and of nature. He talked even more about right and wrong. He talked a lot but the way he walked, his Godly walk, said even more. His skin was worn but worn a rich, tough wrinkly brown. His hair was gray and thin. He wore glasses and had a big nose and ears and I thought he was the greatest thing I'd ever seen. He was my gem and I loved him so.

I hope that I caught some of his goodness to pass along to Miss G. What a joy it will be to walk with him again someday listening to him sing enveloped in his goodness.

No comments: