Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Meet Miss Gregarious



It's amazing how much I learn from Miss Gregarious. She shows me every day the love God intends for us to have and share. God created us in his image and (with apologies to Mr. Dickens) I believe that those who are so fresh from God show His love the most. Miss Gregarious is so full of love and joy that it's truly hard to contain. While in the grocery store the other day and to her Mother's uncomfortable surprise, Miss G ran up to a little, old, stooped-over man and began literally to talk at him.

"Hi! My name is Miss G. What's your name? What are you buying? I like apples. Do you like apples? I live in Texas. Where do you live?"
Her preamble was basically one complete sentence without waiting for answers. The transformation in the old man was instant and remarkable. He straightened up and began to smile. It looked like 10 years had fallen off of his shoulders. As she continued to ramble he actually started to laugh. I don't know what has happened in that man's life to cause his sad expression. I'm sure more than I even dare to guess. I do know that Miss G had given him a precious gift. She had reached out to him and shown him worth. If but for a brief second, she lightened his load and made him laugh. In Romans 12:13 it says for us to...
Being a dutiful Mommy, I try to instill in her the kindly morals and values from the Bible. Most of the time, however, she is already a step ahead of me. I saw the old man. I knew that he looked lost and forlorn. It wasn't the adult who treated him kindly and showed him love. It was Miss G, the four year old. To be brutally honest, it didn't even occur to me to speak to him. I was way up in my head checking my lists and not in "the moment". Thank you Miss G for continually reminding me of the important things in life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can you keep from smiling when you see that face? Loved the story and pray that I can learn from her, get my eyes off myself and begin to see people around me as people in need! Thank you so much,