Friday, May 23, 2008

Shall we spit?




As I was watering the flowers yesterday, Miss G ran up to me and asked, "Mommy, will you teach me how to spit?" A flood of questions raced through my mind but in an effort to redirect I said "That's your Daddy's department."

"But Mommy, Daddy doesn't spit."

"Neither does Mommy."

"Yes, you do!"

"When do I spit?"

"Just the other day you spit out something in your mouth that was bad."

Okay...she was technically correct so I thought I'd try to redirect again.

"Why do you want to learn to spit?"

"Because when I spit now it goes all
over my chin."

Okay, that's a valid point. Evidently I'm not asking the right questions.
"What do you need to spit out of your mouth?"

"Anything that's bad."

And yet another good point.

"You remember that we don't spit at people...right?"

"Only by accident."

"By accident?"

"You know, when we're talking and it just accidentally comes out."

"Oh...yes...of course."

"So, are you going to teach me to spit?"

"Yes, my little lady, let's spit."

No comments: